Monday, November 24, 2008

Blast from recent past

So, I know that I'm not supposed to have favorite students...but, what can I say? I end up with favorite students. And, one of my favs came to see me today--as a third year cadet at West Point all dressed up in his spiffy dress uniform. He totally made my day! Such a sweet kid--so smart, so kind, so funny, and apparently adjusting to West Point quite well. I always feel like I'm in kind of a time warp when my old students come to see me. They've changed so much, and I feel like I'm still in the same place. It brings a whole new meaning to that phrase "the more things change, the more they stay the same" except that they're the ones changing and I'm the one staying the same (approximately). It really doesn't bother me, though. I know that part of our job is to provide that sturdy and predictable foundation that a lot of these kids don't get in other places...and I am nothing if not sturdy and predictable :) And, I'm happy to say that my brief visit with my cadet today will keep me smiling for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment