Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ages and Stages

You know what they say about friends: they come into your life for ages and stages. I've been thinking about this lately, too. You get the idea that I've been thinking a lot lately? This is nice for me, I'm enjoying it.

I think that I've mentioned this before, but I'm one of those people who prefers to surround myself with a small group of dear friends than a whole pile of people that I don't feel that close to. My mom has always said that if you can count your true friends on one hand, then you're a lucky person. I kind of think of these people as the ones that you can call at 2 in the morning, they'll actually answer the phone, listen to you cry, talk to you if you need it, come and pick you up from some gross place, or wire the money to bail you out of jail. You know, like family.

The fact of the matter is that these relationships take time to build. Honestly, given those qualifiers, I've got maybe three besides Matt, my folks, and other family members that I know would do what they could for me. I think that Matt's got about three too. I used to have more, or maybe they were just different, but, like I've said before: life happens. Maybe I'll have more sometime again. There are certainly people that I would like to be closer to, and maybe I will be under the right circumstances, but again, that darned life gets in the way. Jobs, geography, children, and other choices limit the time that we have to invest in these kind of relationships. I truly believe, though, that a good chunk of life is about who you spend it with...probably part of what makes me love teaching.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that there are quite a few people who have earned a spot in my heart. I'm guessing that some of them have no idea the effect that they've had on my life, and that's ok. I suppose that some people have carved out a bigger piece of my heart based on the ages and stages that we've shared. But, I've certainly got room for more and I will proceed with cautious optimism (one of my favorite phrases) as I move through this journey of life. There's plenty of room for anyone who wants to join me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment