Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Guilt

I understand that guilt is one of those things that no one but I can impose upon myself. That hasn't made me feel any better.

At Joseph's last pediatrician appointment, he measured up at the 7th percentile for weight and 17th for height. While this may still strike you as low, these are both up from his previous appointment. He'd been measuring consistently in the 4-5th percentile for both height and weight since he's been about 6 months old. He's a little guy. And, food has been kind of a challenge for us since he's been about 8 months old. I'm sure that I've blogged about it all, but GERD and assorted food allergies have made us rather food-conscious. I don't particularly want to raise a kid with weird food perceptions, so I try to stay pretty low-key about what he chooses to eat and what he doesn't. Mostly what he chooses not to eat. And, he's managed to grow! Yeah!

He is a rather picky eater, though. A friend at school has a two year old who eats everything and anything. Not my boy. So, his doctor recommended getting stricter on the dinner options and adopting the "if you don't eat this, there isn't anything else" motif... figuring that he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat something new. Well, for the last two nights, he's opted for nothing. Seriously. Nothing. I'm worried because I don't want him to get used to not eating dinner, and I don't want him to lose weight or miss nutrients. But, he's got to broaden his palate. Urgh. I felt terrible putting him to bed last night with an empty tummy. Again. And, I continued to feel bad this morning, and have continued to worry about him today. I'm sure he's fine. I'm just crazy.

And, it doesn't help that this has been a particularly difficult day for an assortment of other reasons. My students have finally lost their minds. I was waiting for this shoe to drop, and drop, it has. We're all on edge. School cannot end soon enough. Everyone is just cranky and its just not so much fun today.

Not wanting to end on a sour note, though: two former students dropped by today and it was great to see them. They've just finished their first year at Boston schools and seem to be enjoying themselves. It was great to chat for a bit and get caught up. So, that was good. Tonight is another night. Maybe we'll have hot dogs. He likes those...

1 comment:

  1. Evan and I were both picky eaters growing up. Evan used to think that different shapes of pasta tasted different and, therefore, would only eat spaghetti. We both came around as we got older though. We probably just got bored of eating the same things all the time. My father did cater to us though. He always made something we would eat. I'm not saying that's necessarily the best route, but it's what he did. Anyway, as you can imagine, Evan and I have never had the problem of being too light. :-)

    I think I would feel guilty too, if I were in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete