Friday, January 21, 2011

A brief reflection

We've had an interesting run lately. It's winter, so it's snowing. Apparently, it's snowing a lot. We're home today on Snow Day #4 in the last week and a half-ish. We're going to be in school until July, I guess. I've been cooking and knitting and reading and thinking. I shared a bit of the cooking and knitting with you earlier, so I'm going to share a bit of the thinking today.

Maybe it's the time of year...long gray days with really cold nights, but loss has been on my mind lately. My friend Kate rather eloquently posted her recent thoughts on loss and the things that time doesn't heal. Really, though, this is something that I've been rolling around for a while. Maybe not 'loss' specifically, but moreso the tremendous effect that health and family have on our lives, and the degree to which most of us take those things for granted. I've recently learned that one of my parents' friends from my childhood died suddenly last fall (he was 57 and left a wife and 3 kids ages 28, and 24 yo twins). A sorority sister of mine tragically lost her son at birth just last weekend. And our family is facing at least two different illnesses/diseases that have helped us all prioritize our lives and realize what is important and what isn't. With this in mind, I'm going to venture to say that a LOT of what we place in high regard really doesn't matter at all.

I know that, again, this is a big ol' welcome to our 30's and the stuff that goes along with a more grown-up life, responsibilities, and outlook on things. But, I don't particularly feel like age needs to be the motivator or determinator for people to make decisions for and with other people. There are far too many examples of hideously self-centered leeches of all ages, and we probably needn't look too far to find someone that fits that bill in our own lives.

So, I guess that what I'm trying to say is to just get over your big bad self. Life is all too fleeting and moments pass way too quickly to spend too much time on yourself. Now, don't go thinking that I'm saying that you need to neglect yourself and all that crap. Just keep it in balance. Be thoughtful of others. Be kind. Be considerate. Be grateful. Be polite. This may be coming across as my lecture on a soapbox, but I'm really just journaling my thoughts and recording a reminder for myself. If you feel the need to better yourself and live your life for someone else, then that's a bonus too. I'm sure that someone who loves you will be grateful for your thought.

After all, you can't take it with you and you're not really gone until no one remembers you. Hopefully those memories are kind.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You just inspired one on my end...feel free to stop by and read!

    ReplyDelete