Thursday, June 24, 2010

Accomplishments, thus far

So, I've been out of school for three days. It always takes a little while to adjust to the summer schedule. Before Joseph I would work, so it evened itself out pretty well. And, I would bank a little extra cash which was always nice. Since he's been around, though, I've decided to be a Mom during the summer months. It's a pretty cool job, but it takes a little while to get back into the swing of things. Also, there are all those other things that I neglect during the school year (most specifically the last couple months of school) due to sheer emotional and physical exhaustion. Those things tend to make themselves to the top of the "To Do" list. So, I present to you my accomplishments, thus far:
  • Baby Frankie's quilt: the back got pieced together and the whole thing pinned on Tuesday, on Wednesday I quilted the long seams, on Thursday I quilted the short seams. Friday's goal is to quilt the outside seam and iron and pin the binding (might be lofty, but we'll see). It needs to be complete by next Thursday. I can do that.
  • Find/request money: there happen to be little pockets of money out there that are rightfully ours. These are in the form of ridiculous retirement accounts from aforementioned summer jobs, reimbursements from health care providers, consignment store accounts, etc. None of them amount to more than $40 or $50, but, all of them combined will make some sweet highlights for my hair ;)
  • Picnics: Joseph has decided that he'd like to have a picnic for nearly every meal that we eat at home. So, we drag our towel outside and sit on the grass while we listen to the birds. It's pretty sweet, and I rather like it. I kind of wish that I'd thought of it!
  • Exercise: I've already blogged about this C25K journey...read those. I decided to walk yesterday, though, because my knees were still sore and I don't want to further injure them or fall off of this wagon. I need new shoes, I think. Oh boy, shopping! Good thing I've found all of that money!
Additional goals for the coming weeks include:
  • Finishing Baby S's blanket. This just involves weaving in the loose ends. A task that I kind of abhor, but still needs to be done. By next Thursday.
  • Knit my silly fingers to the bone on Baby H's blanket. I'm making progress, but am still not quite there. I'd love to be done with this by next Thursday, but I don't see that happening. Unless I get a knitting elf.
  • Keep moving my lazy ass on this C25K thing. I've just got to keep going. I haven't lost any weight (for a whole variety of reasons, I'm sure...most obviously I probably put too much into my damned mouth), but I feel better and I think that my weight is moving itself around. Hard to tell, but I'm hopeful.
  • Keep Joseph social. Personally, I'm kind of a home-body. It's a darned good thing that my job makes me socialize, otherwise I might be a hermit. But, I know that Joseph needs the interaction, so we're going to try to keep him interacting with an assortment of people.
  • I love sewing, so I think that I might like to make something else once I finish Baby Frankie's quilt, but I'm just not sure what. Suggestions? I'm open.
  • Appreciate the moments. Lest I wax too philosophical, here, I'll just say that I'm pretty sure that life is made up of the moments. It's easy to get distracted by all of the other crap, but I really do try to step back and take a snapshot of what's going on and just love it for its simple pleasure. I like to think that I'm not so bad at this, either. Which (I also like to think) is what helps to keep me sane and rather enjoying myself and my lot in life.
So, there you have it. Accomplishments and more goals. What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I didn't think of buying new shoes, but that may help. I know various parts of my legs start to hurt when I need new running shoes.

    I think the picnic thing is adorable! Too cute.

    Oh, and I'll gladly be the recipient of anything you want to sew. ;-) I like to sew too, but I don't have quite the skill level that you do. Everything you make always looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete